Thread: Display issue
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Display issue

I have now had several instances of my display being "lighter" than normal. The fonts are spidery, some of the lighter, thinner lines in artwork completely disappear... It's immediately very obvious to me when this happens!

Usually a reset (not shutdown/restart) fixes the issue. To me it seems that the display controller switches the table it uses to look up the values of the 16 supported gray tones, or at least something related. I would think that if was eInk-related, it would be more permanent or would take longer to revert than instantly switching back to normal after a reset.

I have included a montage from the most recent incident. My "Grayscale Test" image fairly clearly shows the shift in the gray palette. (look at it at the original size if possible) The fonts are obviously spidery because the shade of gray used to anti-alias them is much lighter than normal. It may seem like nitpicking in the specific examples, but really the overall effect is quite noticeable and distracting to me.

Before I bring it up (again) in the iRex forum if other early adopters have run noticed any of this on their own reader?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DisplayIssue.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	801.2 KB
ID:	17204  
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote