View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 02:16 AM   #11
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I get your point, and when I said "something else" I was also including that. That's actually part of a plot I'm working on now... the Hero has an undiscovered ability that saves him at the end, though why that ability exists is foreshadowed and wraps up an important subplot in the story. (Harry Potter again.) But I am worried too many people will cry "DEM!" over that sort of thing.
Don't worry too much. Unfortunately it's impossible to satisfy all readers with the end of a story. I don't think too many will cry "DEM" if you choose to end your story the way you mentioned. And even if they would, there are also a lot of people who actually like "godlike intervention" or other kinds of surprises because it may correspond roughly to their own hopes and imaginations. Deus Ex Machina don't have to be bad, mostly it is but it can also be apposite to the story you've told until then.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote