View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #78
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The "not great literature" part kept this page-turner from my list. The twists of the plot were fantastic, but I thought the writing was clunky and the male perspective missed the mark. It didn't help that I read it after reading Edith Wharton, who captured the essence of a trapped man perfectly in Ethan Frome.
True. I think that illustrates the point that several people have made that they didn't have any big 5 star reads this year that were life changing or however the OP more eloquently phrased it. Certainly I feel that way. That initially made me sad upon reflection. However I read many books that made me think critically even if I rated them as 4 rather than 5 stars. Most of them were older and I noticed I didn't read that many books published in 2012 this year except fiction thrillers. But, sometimes it's nice to have some entertaining reads mixed in with the literary greats. I just finished this book where the character was really shallow and the writing was not that deep too and I don't plan to continue with the series, but it sure did make me laugh and smile while I was wrapped up miserably under a blanket sick last weekend.

I must go add Ethan Frome to my TBR list! Sounds like I missed a good read in last month's book club selection.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote