View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #112
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Compared to the iLiad, the DX does look like the iPod of ereaders. Slick and simple. I once had the iLiad Book Edition in my hand and it felt to me like a cheap paper weight. The Kindle is 1/3" thick and weighs 19 ounces. How does that compare to the iLiad?
I am certainly not a big fan of how the iLiad BE feels in my hand. The build quality leaves a lot to be desired and I have started to hear a lot of creaking noises as I have been using the device for about 3 months now. The plastic is certainly of an inferior quality. That said, the screen is definitely superior quality and I do really enjoy reading on it.

I am fairly confident Kindle DX will certainly have a better build quality. It is certainly much, much thinner than the iLiad, which is about twice as thick as the DX (0.6"). The DX weighs about the same as the DX (20 oz for the iLiad vs 19 oz for the DX). However, note that the screen size on the DX is much bigger so that means that you get a bigger screen but without the weight.

Oh, and I actually forgot to mention the biggest thing that bugs me about the iLiad: the short battery life and the total lack of a sleep/hibernate mode which makes the battery life even worse. I also don't like having to turn it off and then turn it back on all the time. I am looking forward to the long battery life that I will (hopefully) get with the Kindle DX, as they advertise.
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote