View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
You need to realize that images have always been the incestuous-love-child-kept-chained-under-the-stairs of the ebook industry. High quality images worth panning and zooming are big. Have you noticed Amazon offering up any Manga? Whispernet isn't unlimited bandwidth and they like that "On your Kindle in under a minute" tag line. Your desires may be laudable "I want my pictures and see them too!" but they run smack into the harsh realities of the technology.
It is a downside of Whispernet that it makes file size significant again, just when mega GB memory cards rendered that mindset otherwise obsolete.

An example of a useful hack that would not get in the way of DRM is the replacement of the font with one that supported non-Latin languages. I can see why Amazon does not want to deal with multiple fonts, but that is exactly why a hack may be the best solution. If the new font does not work you only have yourself to blame, but if it does work you have an additional capability that is needed by only a tiny minority of Kindle users (but very important to those who need it).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote