View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by emai7s2 View Post
Dear Andrys,

Thank you so much for such a detailed response - the links and screenshots you included were very helpful. It sounds like the Kindle DX is perfectly adequate for going online from time to time to have a peek at the news headlines. You mention elsewhere that you use gmail with your Kindle - could I rely on it for simple email access while traveling internationally?

Thanks again!
Yes, now you can. They have sped up the browser and eliminated some false error messages with gmail. The keyboard is not ideal, so that's more slowgoing than the web itself now. I cannot say that it is fun to do gmail on the Kindle, so I use it only for email I need to read and write.

You're right - it's meant for fast look-ups when you're out and are not near computer networks. I do use it to find recommended restaurants nearby and movie theaters and times, directions, etc.

But I certainly don't 'surf' on it :-) It's a tool, and I love that it's at no added cost.

People use gmail and hotmail. I had more problems trying to use yahoomail. Gmail is fine now -- but they have these 'threaded' conversations that can drive me crazy sometimes when I'm in a hurry.

They recenty changed it so that you can see your mail in normal mode too, I just read.

Good luck on your decision. It's not easy when you're so far away from the vendor and shipping and maybe custom fees can be so high.

- Andrys
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote