View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
The question is whether virtual community (i.e. Mobileread, etc.) will trump physical community, as virtual bookstores trump physical ones.
That would be a sad and pathetic commentary on the future of the human race. I love Mobileread, I like its users. But it is not in the same league as the experience of going down to my favorite local bookstores (Red Emma's in Baltimore and the Book Nook in Glen Burnie) and talking to the locals, engaging in geek fu over hot fresh food, and supporting an economic model I believe in (Red Emma's is a worker-owned collective with no 'boss'). Progress is never simply progress. It has an agenda. I think part of the agenda behind the virtualization of all human experience is to pre-empt any attempt at meaningful organization in the real world (making a FBook fan page is not political activism!). Having read Corey Doctorow's For the Win, I can appreciate how IT can be used to engage in meaningful political activism, but without a face-to-face network of real people experienced AS real people, the bond of solidarity will be to slim to allow any kind of revolutionary project to function. And I think that's the point, to keep us as isolated, cynical consumers instead of multi-faceted human beings possessed of a critical consciousness and powerful sense of solidarity with other people.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote