View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #40
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I'm of the mind that the only legal limitation is due to geographic limitations put into contracts between the authors and the publisher.

An author would much rather sell the US rights, the CDN rights, the UK rights, the NK rights all separately, I suspect, and the publisher wants a guarantee, in return, that no other publisher will be selling books in their territory....all contractually bound in writing. IANAL but doubt there are any laws that prevent international sales of items IF the contract originally signed had permitted them. I'd blame the authors and the agents, here, as much as publishers.
The point is: why do they say that the sale is in the country where the company/webshop is located when a pbook is sold en that the sale is in the country of the buyer for an ebook? Wouldn't it be simpler to always say that the sale is in the location of the seller? Or is there a law that says that the sale of an ebook is in the location of the buyer? I rather doubt that because that should then be a kind of international law. Or is there some kind of international agreement about this? I really would like to know why this is so.