View Single Post
Old 09-19-2004, 09:11 PM   #28
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by undone
have you all overlooked one of the most needed web abilities ever? We need a JAVA plugin!!! Java and javascript are all over the web, but us poor mobilites can not see or use it. i think this would be a huge advancement....
Uhm, no.

Javascript (and Java) are not "parsed" as HTML is, they are "executed". This means you need some sort of "engine" on the device to handle that execution and interpretation. Having Javascript in an offline HTML page, or in an eBook adds ZERO value.

Can you give me one example of where Javascript in these scenarios actually enhances the quality of the work? In fact, I'd argue that most webpages using Javascript, are using it unnecessarily. Rollovers? Done in CSS. Client-side validation? Moot, since you have to validate server-side anyway (and that's irrelevant in an offline HTML/eBook reader anyway).

What other things does Javascript bring to webpages and eBooks that actually make them better than their "plain" HTML counterparts? I can't think of a single one at all on the Web in general, and even moreso on a handheld device, disconnected from the web.