Here's a quick summary of the iDevice-related improvements in 0.7.5, now available for download:
New in 0.7.5
- PDF support. PDFs uploads to iTunes/iBooks is now supported.
- iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, iPod Touch 2G, 3G added as supported devices. I don't have the hardware to test these devices, but they should just work. Like that ever happens.
- Added a user preference to use Series name instead of tag as the Category in iTunes/iBooks. Click Preferences|Plugins|Device Interface plugins|Apple device interface, then click Customize plugin to specify.
- iBooks 1.1 enables the dictionary only if an epub's <dc:language> metadata value matches your iDevice's native language. Calibre dynamically updates <dc:language> to match your interface language as specified in Preferences|General|Choose language when sending epubs to iTunes/iBooks.
- If you have both epub and PDF versions of a book in calibre, you can specify which version to upload. Click Preferences|Plugins|Device Interface plugins|Apple device interface, then click Customize plugin. Adjust your preferred order of formats to upload. The first matching format in the list will be uploaded. If you want to send a specific format, use Send to device↓Send specific format.
- Periodical content downloaded via calibre recipes is now optimized for iPad touchscreen. See 'iPad + Recipes: New optimizations in 0.7.5' for details.
- New feature 'Connect to iTunes' in Send to device menu. Start calibre without an attached iDevice, select Send to device↓Connect to iTunes. Calibre will upload books to iTunes without syncing to your iDevice. You sync iTunes with your iDevice whenever/however you choose. This is an experimental feature in 0.7.5.
See the first post in this thread for an revised overview of using calibre with iDevices.