View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #66
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
iBooks looks like a "book", but in doing so it wastes usable space.

That was my point in saying it looks good - it looks like a book. If you read my previous posts, you will see I share the same sentiment - there is a lot of wasted space; they went for style over substance - imo, substance partly being a way to (at least optionally) get rid of all the white space.

Granted I am only making my way through my first book on ibooks, but I see no 'rivers' in the text when using full justification. Maybe I am just lucky with this particular book.

The white on black, I personally don't care; as I did with Stanza, I prefer to just lower the brightness in low/no light situations. But I know a lot of people want this, and most certainly a night mode is coming.

I agree stanza does a lot of things better, but I am going to stick with ibooks. I'm gathering it is not very important for some (most?), but having the total number of pages (i also really like the way ibooks does the pages left in a chapter) is a big deal to me. I also like the page turn animations, even if they are a little fast. All this may be superficial, but it adds to the overall reading experience for me.

Now that I have read a bit more on ibooks, the wide margins are not as annoying as when I first started, but I still do wish there was a way to make them smaller.

Given that this is a first (or second) version of ibooks, I'd say Apple has done a pretty good job so far.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote