View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #62
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Kolenka,

I am happy that Apple made ibooks looks so good - and really that is their thing. I trust they will add at least some of the functionality I am looking for. That said, sometimes style does win out over substance.
"Look so good" how? There's a ton of wasted space, the fonts are barely decent, and no hyphenation with full justification leads to lots of rivers in the text. Sure, the chrome around the text looks nice (though I still don't understand why they couldn't dynamically adjust the stack of "pages" to the right as you read through a book), but it's non-functional and takes away from the act of reading -- chrome for chrome's sake is not "good". iBooks looks like a "book", but in doing so it wastes usable space.

I'm also very disappointed that there's no white-on-black view. IIRC iBooks on iPad had this option (I'll have to double-check on the girlfriend's iPad), so why take it out for iPhone?

Personally, I'm sticking with Stanza. Better fonts, better customization of margins, hyphenation (even if flawed, it's better than not hyphenating IMHO), fully customizable color schemes, etc all make up for what few rendering issues Stanza has in comparison to other readers.

iBooks is good because it's well-publicized and thus gets more people thinking about e-reading. But as a reader it leaves a lot to be desired.

toddos is offline   Reply With Quote