View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Language metadata in ePub files

Hi Kovid,

I don't know if you've noticed the matter in the Apple forum, but an issue has arisen with Calibre-generated ePub files in the new versions of the "iBooks" bookreader for iPad and iPhone. iBooks has a language-specific dictionary, and all ePub files generated by Calibre appear to contain a "dc:language" metadata value of "UND", resulting in an inability to use the dictionary. Editing the metadata value to "EN" makes the dictionary work.

Three questions:

1. Can Calibre generate a default language metadata value of "EN" rather than "UND"?

2. Would it be possible to edit this value in Calibre's "Edit Metadata" screen?

3. When Calibre converts a Mobipocket file containing a valid language metadata value, even then it still produces the "UND" value in the ePub. Would it be possible to correctly import this value from the Mobipocket file?

I would enter this on the project tracker, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to let me log on at present.

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote