View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchman2210 View Post
They are doing it here in the USA also. But I believe it is to clear the supply chain in order to introduce a new model in the next few months. I do not believe they will maintain this price going forward. I believe their next 6” device will sell for ~$250USD MSRP. I believe they will introduce a larger format device i.e, 9 inch, in the ~$399USD range. This is just my opinion.
That *is* how Sony operates. Standard M.O.

But this time it won't fly.
The market has made it clear it values wireless more than it values touch screens. Even if you make the two features interchangeable, it means their PRS-600 replacement is going to *have* to be no more than $199. And the PRS900 at $349 (tolerable yesterday) is suddenly almost twice the new benchmark.

Simply put: *every* ebook reader is going to be weighed against the WiFi Nook. Does it have comparable features? Is the price comparable? And if its priced higher, do the added features justify the cost?

That is what Sony is facing.
And for a large format wireless reader, $399 is going to be a tough sell.
At that price it had better be best in breed.
And Sony Readers haven't been *that* competitive for years. Good solid buys, yes. Best in breed? No.

This move is going to make waves for a while.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote