Originally Posted by htbyron
ERROR: Bad database location
Here are the details:
ERROR: Bad database location: Bad database location u'E:/My Documents/Calibre Library'. calibre will now quit.
I have admin rights on my system, I am the only user. I am about to give up on this software, but it has gotten such good reviews from others.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
I've seen this corrected many ways from rebooting the computer to disabling Microsoft Essentials AV program during install. Kovid once recommended the following as a starting point.
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
Create a folder called c:\library
Start calibre from the command line as
calibre --with-library C:\library
Also Calibre has this advice in the FAQ
Calibre is not starting on Windows?
There can be several causes for this:
If it still wont launch, start a command prompt (press the windows key and R; then type cmd.exe in the Run dialog that appears). At the command prompt type the following command and press Enter:
- If you get an error about a Python function terminating unexpectedly after upgrading calibre, first uninstall calibre, then delete the folders (if they exists) C:\Program Files\Calibre and C:\Program Files\Calibre2. Now re-install and you should be fine.
- If you get an error in the welcome wizard on an initial run of calibre, try choosing a folder like C:\library as the calibre library (calibre sometimes has trouble with library locations if the path contains non-English characters, or only numbers, etc.)
- Try running it as Administrator (Right click on the icon and select “Run as Administrator”)
- Windows Vista: If the folder C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\calibre exists, delete it. Uninstall calibre. Reboot. Re-install.
- Any windows version: Try disabling any antivirus program you have running and see if that fixes it. Also try disabling any firewall software that prevents connections to the local computer.
Post any output you see in a help message on the Forum.
It's a great program I hope you get it working.