Missing covers, missing content. Getting worse with each sync.
I'm on my second Kobo reader, after having returned the first when it froze and wouldn't reset. I'm starting to regret getting a replacement instead of a straight refund.
I've had a series of problems since last night. I'm not sure if I've got yet another faulty reader, or if Kobo is having trouble with the online library. I did noticed that they've "improved" the site when you sign in to your account. But my trouble began when I updated my library, downloaded new purchases, and synced.
Here's what I did to kickstart the calamity:
1. From the Kobo desktop, I downloaded a book I'd purchased.
2. From Calibre, I added a converted .odt file to the reader.
A pretty harmless start,you'd think. I did find it odd that on the Kobo desktop application, covers for my purchases were missing, but I didn't think anything of it. Then I synced.
Problems that arose:
First sync: Some of my purchased ebooks were missing. Others were there in duplicate (listed twice in I'm Reading). In one case (but not all) I went to the duplicated listings for a title and wasn't able to open either listing.
Second sync: First, I went to my account on the Kobo site, and bookmarked all my purchases so that they would come back to the Kobo I'm Reading list. I also removed the item I'd added through Calibre. Then I synced. After syncing, all the books were there, some in duplicate, but the files were screwed up.
- there were no covers for purchased books or for the pre-installed books. None at all.
- in I'm Reading, some of the titles actually opened different books. In one case, I opened a file and it opened on the last chapter of one book, then when I flipped through the pages it ended up at the first chapter of the book I'd meant to open.
Third sync: The covers are still gone, the file names are still duplicated, and now, there's nothing but garbled text for my purchases. The pre-installed 100 books have text, but not my purchases.
Along the way, I noticed that even on my Kobo desktop, covers are missing.
I'm not doing anything abnormal with the reader (nor did I do anything abnormal with my previous failed reader). I'm starting to feel as though this product is a huge lemon, but if someone can suggest solutions to this problem I might be convinced otherwise.