View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
As for the censorship issues Steve Jordan raised, I don't think the US government is stopping anyone currently from buying "undesirable" books in bookstores, or even borrowing them from a library.
True... actually, I was thinking of state and local jurisdictions, some of which refuse to make certain books available to its patrons, and who often object strenuously to nationwide access to those same books and try to block such efforts. I suspect that the US government would get the same pressure from certain states and municipalities to block e-books' access to their areas, for this reason.

Also, I'd expect similar public pressure to influence the govt to attempt to block certain citizens from certain books, just as citizens attempt to prevent the government from relocating, say, convicted rapists and child molesters, in their neighborhoods, and as governments bar those same people from school jurisdictions or proximity to former victims even after release. I see this as a natural extention to existing practices.

I'm not making a judgement, here, just saying that even in the US, there can be limits to who should have access to what.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote