View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano, & a PC running Windows 9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
My previous device was the Sony PRS-700.
I have a K2 and a PRS-600 and love them both. I also have that other thing listed under my name which is pretty near-perfect if what someone is looking for is a $259 reminder of the dangers of being an early-adopter of new devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
...Although the Kindle is overall a better device I definitely think a touch screen would be a great addition (certainly for the mainstream audience - touch screens are quite a fad at the moment).

I think a capacitive touch screen would be far better than the resistive screens on the Sonys. And there is no reason the Kindle can't keep the keyboard and other physical buttons. I'm personally not a fan of devices that only use touchscreen as the input method as they are severely limited and annoying to use. That said, I don't really find the keyboard on the Kindle useful as I don't type much text on it. If the screen was quicker to refresh and the device easier to navigate (i.e. if it had a touchscreen) I would actually find the keyboard more useful.
From my limited in-store experience, the touchscreen response time on the iPad is blazingly fast, but that's a whole different technology from e-ink. But if that's important to you, you may want to consider one in the future, or any of the 10,000 tablets of their competitors that will no doubt be hitting the store shelves soon. The downside of them all, however, is that they won't be using e-ink, which means they'll be more difficult to read in sunlight. Then, of course, there's the well-known claim that e-ink reduces eyestrain. There's been much debate about the truth of that claim, but e-ink is nice.

I doubt we'll ever see a Kindle that uses both a touchscreen while retaining they physical keyboard, but I'd probably buy one if they did. Not a bad idea!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote