View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Formatting is driving me crazy!

I'm trying to get Risen ready for ebook publication, and just creating the HTML (Web Page) document is driving me nuts.

I've given up on the title page entirely. The type won't center properly and the simple, three-line "Risen" "by" "Jan Strnad" splits onto two pages. Can't figure out why. Screw it.

I have certain paragraphs that begin with italicized words. For some reason, I keep getting the code "<o></o>" in the paragraph above the one with the italics, inserting an extra line break. I go in and manually remove this code, save the file, "add" the file to Calibre, "convert" the book to epub, preview the book and it's fixed!

Except that if I go back to fix something else, the "<o></o>" reappears and I have all of those extra line breaks again.

As I expect my publisher will be opening the file to add some stuff, I don't want to send it to him "fixed" only to have it corrupted again when he saves the file.

I read where it takes some people maybe half an hour to format a book. I'm starting Day Two. (I had some other issues and had to learn how to generate a table of contents.) If I weren't so anal retentive I'd just say "screw it" and leave in the formatting problems.

I'm beginning to see why big publishers with thousands of books to format don't want to spend the time to do it right.

Very frustrating!

EDITED TO ADD:

Hah! You see what I mean! The code is supposed to be (without extra spaces) < o : p > < / o : p > and here it gets translated into the very appropriate emoticons!

Jeez....

Last edited by J. Strnad; 05-30-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: LOL!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote