View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 04:16 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Ebooks, Smoking, Drinking -- Bad Medicine

When I checked into a clinic for some medical tests yesterday, I wasn’t able to get away with my usual indignant, “Of course I don’t smoke or drink, Dr!”

Waiting for the clinic to open, I was reading on my Sony 505, enjoying a cigarette and a beer in the sun at a sidewalk cafe nearby. A friendly, 50-ish chap in shorts and t-shirt, eating a plate of spaghetti on the next table took an interest and I told him about my device. I bought him a beer but he declined a smoke. A tourist, I guessed because, unlike others in the cafe (including the waitress), he'd shaved that morning.

I kept glancing at my watch so that I wouldn’t be late for my appointment next door. My new drinking buddy said: “No need to rush, Mr Marr. I’m Professor Coen, your new cardiologist. This is my lunch break.

He’d spotted my bandaged foot, walking stick and accent and put two and two together. Smart these frogs! Moral of the story: If you are prone to bad habits, don't attract attention by e-reading near to a clinic or hospital.

Cheers. Neil

Last edited by neilmarr; 05-27-2010 at 05:21 AM. Reason: typo
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote