View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
mickeyjuice
mickeyjuice began at the beginning.

Device: mickeyjuice
Bought mine yesterday - once I got the stupid font-size problem for self-loaded books worked around, it's been pretty good. (Also read somewhere that it should be sorted by the Kobo via a firmware update in a few days, which will be far better, than the workaround.)

I prefer it to hold when compared to my Kindle, but I do prefer the page-turn buttons on the Kindle. The Kindle also does page-turns MUCH more nicely - the Kobo does this weird black-screen-flash thing before giving you the new page, and although you get used to it, it means the Kindle is much smoother.

MUCH prefer the black case, although it's already got a (left) thumb-mark at the bottom. Also really like the lack of the keyboard.

Most importantly, the screen is much the same as the Kindle.

Quite stupidly, you can't delete books off it, which is moronic.

Quote:
At this time, you cannot remove the 100 free classics from your eReader. We will be releasing a software update shortly that will allow deleting pre-loaded titles.
OK, I should have said that you can't delete the books off it without playing with SQL Lite, as per this excellent post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...44&postcount=9

So, all up, it's not bad. Probably about the same value-for-money-wise as the Kindle, given the things it lacks and its lower price.

Emailing Borders re the font-size and book deletion issues produces a big fat ignore. (Apart from the email that promises they'll contact you, which doesn't really count...)

Last edited by mickeyjuice; 05-20-2010 at 10:54 PM.
mickeyjuice is offline   Reply With Quote