View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #78
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Closed stores are keeping me away from other people's property. DRM keeps me away from *my* property.
Not really. DRM is designed to keep you from duplicating your property and giving it to someone else. And remember, though you bought it, you only bought the right to own a licensed copy of the document... not really "property." The fact that it prevents you from format shifting is (and even I hate to say it this way) an unfortunate side-effect, and not the same as keeping you from your property/product/whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
Well aren't you just insulting. Because copyright terms should be a fixed length and only last as long as it takes to encourage more creation, anything beyond that defeats the purpose of to promote science and the useful arts.
Well, I've been called worse... but I agree (and I apologize, because I thought you were making a different point), overextending copyright length is wrong, and the practice should be reigned in.

At the same time, it does not give justification for illegally downloading and disseminating files because you don't like the copyright law. The best form of protest, in this case, would be to leave the content alone compltely... show them that their content is not worth it to you or anyone else. Stealing it sends the wrong message (it doesn't condemn them... it condemns the thief).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote