View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon K4, Fire, Droid 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetguy View Post
Well, I have to say I am somewhat surprised by some of the replies.

I have purchased and used many gadgets in the past, and a significant part of them I never used stock: as soon as I got them I hacked them, replaced their firmware or modified them in some other way - as they better suited me that way.

The Kobo in its current version looks like it has decent hardware - but the software on it is useless for me. I have several thousand ebooks - and without having some way to group them I cannot use them on the Kobo. So I will really not use it before I can somehow fix this major weakness.

One way to fix it is to use another firmware written for the same hardware - that is what I will try first.

Asking if someone else is considering this - what is wrong about that?

I asked an honest question - sorry if some people got offended...
If you want a device that allows folders and is a really nice reader (although it is more than twice as expensive) you should look at the Onyx Boox 60.

The Kobo is a very nice *basic* reader. Folders or tags would be a nice addition but for $149 I don't expect that out of the box.

Writing hacks is beyond my technical capabilities but I wouldn't hesitate to try out any hacks for the Kobo.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote