View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.
 
corona's Avatar
 
Posts: 324
Karma: 25168
Join Date: May 2010
Device: kobo
Crude but (apparently) effective...

I got rid of the 100 books, and everything else. (The "everything else" was books I purchased and checked out of the library; I put those back in at the end.)

So far anyway my Kobo doesn't seem like a brick. But really, I don't know what will happen to you and your Kobo if you try this.

The first thing I did was go to ADE and take everything I could off of the Kobo.

Then I backed up the Kobo's file system by copying it to someplace on my hard drive. I don't actually know if this would be effective if needed. Maybe it wouldn't work to just copy it all back to the Kobo. I didn't have to, so I don't know. I just copied everything in the Kobo -- using Windows Explorer -- onto the hard drive.

Everything else below I did right on the Kobo, with Windows Explorer and a Firefox add-on called "SQLite Manager." The Kobo came up on my computer as drive G.

I had some PDFs in the G:\ directory. I deleted those.

I opened the G:\books file with Notepad and deleted everything in the file. It's just a text file; I think this was some values of the variable "contentID" in the database content table -- maybe for the freebee books? Anyway. I saved the now-empty file.

I went to G:\.kobo\images folder and deleted all the files (this is the cover images).

I used the SQLite Manager to open the database and delete all of the entries (but not the table structure!) of the tables: "content", "shortcover_page", and "volume_shortcovers". This took a few minutes, definitely. (I did it with simple SQLite statements; line-by-line manually would take forever.)

In the "user" table I deleted the user "Nickel Bundle" (which left just me as a user). "Nickel Bundle" appears at various places, and I assume it pertains to the 100 freebees.

I didn't fool around with the "DbVersion" table.

Added step: compact the database ("vacuum" command in SQLite parlance). This takes a while.

I closed the database, ejected and unplugged the Kobo. Seemed okay.

I plugged it back in again and added the books I purchased from Kobo store, and checked-out books in the ADE. As usual, I had to go into the Kobo and move the checked-out PDF books up to the root (G:\) directory so they would appear at all (as documents, not books).

Interesting facts:
-it seems to have worked just fine.
-the G:\books file remains empty, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.
-at some point while I was fooling around with the db (I didn't notice it when it happened) the red battery-ok light came on. I haven't seen it for ten days!

Last edited by corona; 05-16-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added compacting step
corona is offline   Reply With Quote