View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #72
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony 350/T1,Pandigital, eBM 911, Nook HD/HD+, Fire HDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Perhaps before you continue to disparage those of us who enjoy our on-board dictionaries (note, I did not say need, I said enjoy), you should try one.

The dictionaries are what is being disparaged, not the people using them.

Paper dictionaries allow you to wander down the garden path of words and definitions, causing you to totally forget that you were actually doing something else before you opened up the dictionary. You lose that experience with electronic dictionaries by their very design. That, I think, is the point being made. It's a useful tool, I don't think anyone here is denying that, but it hasn't made that leap YET into something more than a tool. It's not going to subconsciously increase your vocabulary or knowledge, as say Wikipedia-access on a Kindle would, because it doesn't really lead you beyond your initial search.

I give kudos to people who do actually use the dictionary function on their readers because they are getting the most out of their reading experience. We are all readers here, who by our natures, love words. I think the comparisons made in other posts refer to those people who would rather do anything but read and who take pride in that fact. I'm sure we've all heard "what-are-you-doing-sitting-there-with-your-face-in-a-book-when-it's-such-a-beautiful-day-outside" a few times in our lives from those folks. Those are the people who've never really learned what useful, beautiful and precise tools words can be.

Quote:
This habit of beating up other languages in dark alleys and rifling through their pockets for loose vocabulary is why English has ten words for everything, each of which has a slightly different shade of meaning.
ROTFLMAO! That is such a great definition of the evolution of the English language!
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote