Thread: Cover Design
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I'd probably be the minority here, but I like the original better than your new edition. The vampire skull is kind of..strange for a western (which I must read - - give me now!)

Do you draw every cover by hand? Comission an artist? Or just go trolling the interwebs for CC photos to use and abuse?

I like the look of illustrated covers, but I can't draw a stick figure. So, I discovered a plugin for Aperture called "ToonIt!" which basically rotoscopes your image into something vageuly resembling an illustration. I used to use a similar present when i played with Poser/Daz3D, but the results were always subpar.
I can't draw anything, maybe the odd doodle here and there. I use free images from places like SXU and just let my imagination run wild.

One of the things you might want to consider with any design, is consistency. The red skull/western thing makes no sense because it's taken out of context of the whole. Once it's within the whole you'll see the red skull is part of the 'Horror' section of my pulp imprint. As below:

All the books in any one section are color-coded, branding them and giving the whole company a specific 'look'.

Here are the covers for the Kin series, again it's all about consistency across the design.

Oh and here's the original cowboy image as it was before I messed with it:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kin1.png
Views:	112
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	51485   Click image for larger version

Name:	kin2.png
Views:	110
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	51486   Click image for larger version

Name:	kin3.png
Views:	115
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	51487  

Last edited by Dusty Bottoms; 05-12-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote