Problems with Sigil...
I just got a Sony Reader, so I'm new to ePub books. I used to convert Word files to MobiPocket and read on my PDA. Here's what I'm doing now:
I format my book in Word 2003 using bold, italics, page breaks, etc. But I don't use the Header1, Header2 stuff.
I open the Word file in Open Office Writer and save as HTML (for a cleaner HTML file).
I open the HTML file in Sigil and break it into chapters, then save as ePub.
The last step is importing into Calibre and converting from ePub to ePub after I update the metadata.
The problem I'm having is when I open the HTML file in Sigil. If there's any words in italics, Sigil removes the spaces before and after the words.
I'm not interested at all in learning HTML or tags, so I like how easily Sigil formats the books. But if I have to sort through 500 pages looking for italics, I'll have to look for something else. Even a spell-checker would help find them I guess.