View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIbHom View Post
I've been using dollar store power adapters and chargers for years on cells and other equipment. I've had a few dead cables, but no other issues.

Which isn't to say that the next one I pick up might not explode, taking out 7 city blocks, but if one is really worried, couldn't you use a multimeter to check them?
Voltage (what a Multi-Meter measures) is only a very basic test.
Regulation, Regulation response time (needed with unstable power sources like cars), Noise and ripple, Over-voltage clamping.

To see those, you need a good storage-type oscilloscope and some expensive power disturbance generators.
The company I do work for uses a local testing lab for the power line surge and ringing voltage tests.
The equipment must survive 5 simulated power line lightning "hits" of 5000 Volts (this is for for a basic set top TV box). Failures are pretty spectacular
The basic tests, I do on the bench in the shop.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote