Could somebody please do a guide? I don't know how all of this works. I gathered I need Adobe Digital Editions so I downloaded that but not sure what the next step is.
Was hoping somebody could do a guide. Preferably a guide for people who do not know alot about computers.
I'll add it to the OP here if anyone wants to take on this task.
Originally Posted by Croptop895571
The procedure for Library books is quite simple really (I'm writing this from memory so I can't refer to exact menu steps but I can expand on this later if need be):
Initial Configuration (You only need do this once):
1. Install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your PC/Mac and link it to/create your Adobe ID (the software will walk you through this when you first install it).
2. With ADE shut down, plug your Kobo into your computer and allow it to mount.
3. Start ADE. It should detect that you have a Kobo reader connected to your PC and offer to Authorise the reader on your account.
Borrowing a Library Book:
1. Log into your local library account, select your books and download the file. It will be called Something.ascm.
2. Locate the .ascm file you just downloaded and double-click it. This will launch ADE. The software will process the .ascm file and download the book. It will then automatically appear in your library.
3. Connect the Kobo Reader into your PC/Mac using the USB cable. On a Windows PC, the reader will just appear in ADE. On a Mac, you will need to exit ADE (Command-Q) and restart it in order to see the Kobo Reader.
4. Drag the book cover in the main window of ADE over to the list of bookshelves and drop it on the icon representing the Kobo Reader. The book will be copied to the reader's internal memory.
5. Unmount the Kobo Reader from the PC/Mac and unplug the USB cable. The Kobo should now display a message that it is processing new files. Shortly thereafter, your library books should be listed in your Books I'm Reading list with a "New" tag.
Let me know if I need to clarify anything.
Adding books (bought from other stores) to Kobo Reader:
Originally Posted by Croptop
Here's how to add ADE-DRMed .epub books that you purchased from stores other than Kobo to your Kobo Reader using Adobe Digtal Editions. You can probably also do this using the Kobo software but it won't install or run on my older Mac computers so I can't describe the procedure using the Kobo software:
1. Using your web browser or application of choice, purchase your books and download the .epub files. Make note of where they reside on your local harddisk.
2. Connect your Kobo Reader to your PC/Mac with the USB cable. Wait for the Reader to finish mounting (not strictly necessary for PCs but you must have the Kobo mounted on a Mac before starting ADE or it won't show up).
3. Start ADE. You should see the Kobo Reader listed at the bottom of the Bookshelves pane.
4. Add your recently purchased .epub file(s) to ADE by clicking the "Library" menu and selecting "Add Item to Library". In the resulting file browser window, navigate to the folder where you saved the .epub file(s), select it and click "Add". This will import the .epub file into the ADE library.
5. Open the book in ADE (just to be sure that you can actually access the book). Click on the Library icon (top left corner of the window) to return to the library view.
6. Copy the book to your Kobo Reader by dragging the cover of the book from the main window and dropping it onto the icon representing the Kobo Reader.
7. Unmount the Kobo Reader from the PC/Mac and unplug the USB cable. The Kobo should now display a message that it is processing new files. Shortly thereafter, your library books should be listed in your Books I'm Reading list with a "New" tag.