View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 04:56 AM   #29
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Opus/System76 Starling
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It doesn't matter what I think. DRM works - all the facts prove it, regardless of what your or my views might be.
And what "facts" are those?

Fact: All major DRM has been broken. CSS is broke. HD-DVD encryption is broke. WMA "protection" is broken.

It's not my "view". It's a fact.

The stated purpose of DRM is to "protect" the content. It has failed.
The real purpose of DRM is to lock consumers into a particular system. In that, it has some success (for those foolish enough to pay money to rent DRMed content).

Ask the customers of Google Video about DRM. They'll tell you that they are against it - now that they got screwed.

DRM frustrates customers. Even Microsoft's so-called "PlaysForSure", for example, doesn't play for sure on every device - heck the Zune doesn't support it!

The facts show that DRM is a negative for customers. No customer wants a product that does less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you go for a multi-platform DRM standard you're unlikely not to be able to get a device which supports it.
Already proven untrue.

DRM must be proprietary and closed in order to meet its stated objective.

History has shown that properietary/closed formats eventually die.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote