View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Hamlet53
History of God
Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
So here are some examples to suggest why I love Junchiro Tanizakis' works so much:

"Today when the summer thrush
Came to sing at Heron's Nest
I crossed the Bridge of Dreams."
- from The Bridge of Dreams

"The cold winter rains and the snow
Only fall now and then—
But because of you, my tears
Are falling constantly."
- from A Blind Man's Tale

"Blown by the wind
The smoke from Fuji disappears,
Who knows where?
So to my thoughts."
-from Childhood Years

"Every worm to his taste;
Some prefer to eat nettles."
-from Some Prefer Nettles

These are all translations from the Japanese. I feel Howard Hibbet must have gotten it right.

And here is one that has stuck with me for at least 30 years since I read this the first time:

"The children of these disillusioned colored pioneers inherited the total lot of their parents--the disappointments, the anger. To add to their misery, they had little hope of deliverance. For where does one run to when he's already in the promised land?"
- from Manchild in the Promised Land by Claude Brown

Last edited by Hamlet53; 05-02-2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: sp
Hamlet53 is offline   Reply With Quote