View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch
base font size ? What unit should I use ?

I am working on a html file that I want to convert to epub.

In the external CSS, I added this line:
Code:
body {font-size: 20pt}
so that the base font size is 20pt (I hope this code is ok, according to a CSS Check it is valid). But some people on the Internet say, that using "px" or "pt" as size unit is not good (at least not for IE). Instead I should use "em". So far I tried "pt" and it worked (but at 24pt the font was way too big on my Bebook)

I already use "em", when it comes to stuff like margins, but I don't know if em also works on the base font size. I just looked at Wikipedia, and there it says:
Quote:
This unit defines the proportion of the letter width and height with respect to the point size of the current font.
So can I use "em" as basefont size ? I mean, there is no current font. So basically "em" would be based on nothing. Or is there a default font size on any ebook reader (or at least on the ADE epub)
Or should I stick with "pt", since this works (once I figure out the ideal number)

And what about other ebook readers ? Currently, I use a Bebook that has a resolution of 800x600. What about other ebook readers with other resolutions ?

So to sum it up: What is the best basefont unit when it comes to html/css/epub ?
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote