View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypeecee View Post
Creating a folder of images doesn't allow the "jump to page" functionality that really makes reading these more book-like (which is what I'm trying to preserve). Particularly because some of these are in the hundreds of pages.
Yeah I know what you mean. That's one of the reasons I like pdf over image zips for manga.

Quote:
So far by resizing the images to 622 tall (they end up narrower than the allowed K2 screen area) and making a 500 DPI pdf, the images still end up looking kinda crummy. Or at least not as good as the full size images in a CBZ converted into a MOBI (though it only takes up a fraction of the usable screen area) and then zoomed in on using the 5-way selector (they look amazing in fullscreen that way).
Well increasing the dpi above the K2 supported 167dpi shouldn't help the images look better (it will add to your file sizes though, and it may add some processing time too). So 622 is still not the right height in pdf mode... I haven't come across any documentation that says the usable space in pdf mode. I guess you could try to measure it yourself by displaying a solid black full screen image, measure the top and bottom margins using a ruler, and then use mathmagic to determine the number of pixels used in the margins: 800 - (167 pixels per inch x size of margin in inches). That should give you a better estimate.

Quote:
Any idea how to either boost the size of the images displayed inline in MOBI files to the full 622 x 520, or how to get any size PDF images to look as good?

I can try and post screen shots if it would help to illuminate the difference.
I'm unfamiliar with the mobi format, but sure post pics and maybe someone here can help you.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote