View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #32
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Must have, the essential stuff
- ePub support at par with the latest Adobe DE for Windows or a "browser based" rendering software like Calibre viewer.
- A capability to dislplay PDF documents at par with Sony PRS 505 (what I already have defines my expectations for the future), i.e. landscape view for half page.
- Uptime, in reading mode (everything else I should be able to turn off with a single physical button) at least 10 hours.
- weight bellow 1 lb.
- USB connectivity
- external storage (SD card or equivalent).
- user replaceable battery.
- a capability to replace default fonts with those uploaded by user.
- device should not be closed, OpenInkPot should boot up from the day one.

Nice to have - hardware
- screen size big enough to comfortably render letter/A4 PDF documents
- (multi)touch screen (for dictionary lookups and gestures)
- folded design (like a laptop with two screens on two halves)
- uptime measured in days, rather than hours
- refresh rate way better than eInk (comfortable scroll, quick display of pop-up menu for dictionary lookups or such)

Nice to have - software
- Decent dictionary engine, lookups resolved within a couple of seconds.
- A capability to purchase really good reference dictionary (OED on top of list) or dictionaries for other languages.
- Effective Zoom-in zoom-out for PDF documents
- Capability to read DRM protected books loaned from public library

Items in "nice to have" lists are given in descending order of importance.

Last edited by Ankh; 04-25-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote