View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Agreed.

The only thing I actually like syncing for is podcasts as that's easier for getting new episodes on your iPod and deleting the old episodes you've listened to vs. doing it manually.

Everything else I prefer just manually drag and drop etc. Even music on my Nano. Now if I had a 32GB or bigger iPod I'd be ok with syncing music as I'd want every song on there like I have on my Creative Vision M. But for my 8GB Nano I just want to drag and drop albums manually to put whatever I want on their for workouts at the time etc.

So that's a big drawback of iDevices for me. I don't loathe iTunes completely, but I'm just not a fan of syncing vs. just having a file system and drag and drop. Especially in a tablet device that I'm going to put a lot of different types of files on.
I am on a mac so some of this may not work on pc but

I use drag and drop to manage files on my iPhone

open itunes and drag song onto iphone = on device(works if music already on itunes)
open OS folder containing song, drag it over iTunes window and onto iPhone icon = on device

photos are slightly different open iPhoto drag photo to iphone smart folder(this means it only contains links to the image) in iPhoto it is then auto added to iPhone.

to remove any stuff I just drag it out of iphone in itunes or out of smart folder in iPhoto and its gone from device.

the photo stuff also works well with aperture .
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote