View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Actually there is a difference, though some may not notice in practice. The pic below shows the relative darkness of the screens in four e-ink devices. The blacks (text) on each is the same, so the lighter screen has the greater contrast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	eDGe_6.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	50271

The enTourage eDGe (big one) and iRex DR800SG (top-middle) are about the same. The Kindle 2 (top-left) is darker than those and much darker than the Cybook Gen3 (top-right). I went from the Cybook, my first e-ink device, to the Kindle and I was so disappointed.

For my eyes, the Kindle 2 has too low of a contrast. You need a brighter light to read it. The iRex and eDGe are fine. And that Cybook ... it must be because it only has four levels of gray or something. The contrast is just outstanding.

It's possible that YMMV. Different lots of e-ink may have different characteristics. I don't know.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote