View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
God, no, don't use RTF. It doesn't support hyperlinks, or a table of contents, or pictures, and has very large files. RTF was never intended to be anything else than an "interchange" file format, and that's still what it's best for.

It's very little additional work to produce a "real" eBook.
I agree with most of your issues with RTF, but think that file size is a non-issue these days. Last fall I was able to get terabyte external HD's for $80US. Even in RTF, I can't imagine filling all 3 of the drives I now have (with books, at least-but I also collect emovies which is why I actually got them anyway). I'm sure it would be possible, but I truly can't imagine doing it.

File size is a little more relevant when transferring books (e.g. downloading them) but if I were operating a download site (which I'm not) I'd zip them if they were RTF, just as I would if they were HTML. (And, IIRC, that's basically all ePub is, is a zipped HTML 'archive'.)

Last edited by calvin-c; 04-16-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added transfer comments
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote