View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L. Penn View Post
Bookwerm - I'ver read Giffin's Something Blue as well as the unrelated Love the One You're With, stopping short of Baby Proof b/c it got terrible reviews. Although I enjoyed all three Giffin books I read, Something Borrowed was the best by far IMO. I have to confess that while I definitely have conservative values, I don't hold my fiction to the same standards if it's done well enough, and I felt Giffin treated it masterfully.
Good to know about Baby Proof - I actually bought that and Love the One You're With at the same time last year (thank you, B&N clearance bins!). However, I couldn't get into Baby Proof, and just never tried to read LTOYW thinking it might not be good either. Now that I know Proof is the exception, I'll put LTOYW back on my reading list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L. Penn View Post

I have Sophie Kinsella on my TBR list. Her books always come up alongside mine in recommendations on Amazon so I've really got to check them out. I've got Twenties Girl and Can You Keep A Secret? on my TBR list. I have to confess that I tried to read the first Shopaholic book awhile back and just couldn't get into it. I am planning to see the movie though at some point. Perhaps it has to do with being an American, not sure.
Please - I beg of you - stay away from the film! It's a complete bastardization of the books - the movie is to the books what the TV show True Blood is to the Sookie Stackhouse novels. Same cast of characters, but feels like almost a different story altogether. While movies can occasionally exceed the quality of the book (see: The Devil Wears Prada), this definitely detracts from it. I did also read Twenties Girl - it was very cute and funny. If it was my first Kinsella novel, I probably would have loved it more; but since it was my 8th, and I know her formula and style, it felt more like the others. (As proof, Can You Keep a Secret? was my first Kinsella novel, and still my favorite).
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote