View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Stack is an overloaded word, in my experience they are just referring to stack as a "Architecture Tier" level. Also from reading the quote below they are heavily relying on Linux to multitask, which implements a full preemptive multitasking environment.

The nice thing about the Android design is one app's VM is isolated from the other so instability in one VM will not effect the other.
I think we're both right, the stack that I was referring to is a real stack ...from the Android dev site
Quote:
...It's a group of related activities, arranged in a stack. The root activity in the stack is the one that began the task — typically, it's an activity the user selected in the application launcher. The activity at the top of the stack is one that's currently running — the one that is the focus for user actions. When one activity starts another, the new activity is pushed on the stack; it becomes the running activity. The previous activity remains in the stack. When the user presses the BACK key, the current activity is popped from the stack, and the previous one resumes as the running activity.
But this is only referring to grouped activities all used with in the same "app". So you're right in saying that it is multi-tasking by default. It must be that in a cell phone environment because of how the UI is set up, there is no way to start a new app until the previous one is completed.

I've just started playing with it and was trying to see if I'd have to unlearn any thing for tablets that I'd learned for phones - I'm guessing not.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote