View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #103
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 3GS; Kindle 4 (Black); Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
On the other hand, in low lighting conditions e-Ink can cause eyestrain simply because of lack of backlighting. Aaaand, we're back to square one.

Again, the eyes only care if you have light. It doesn't matter to the eye whether it is projected or reflected... only that it is at the right brightness. Too much or too little for too long, and you get eyestrain. And this can happen as easily with e-ink, or with paper, as with LCD.

(Discussing this subject is a lot like watching a tennis match, isn't it?)
I have three reading devices on my desk as I type this - two of which have backlit LCDs (iPaq and Droid) while the third has E-Ink. I no longer use the iPaq much, but I use both the others regularly.

As for eyestrain in low-light conditions, I'm not going to deny it, but it's hardly unique to E-Ink, one can suffer exactly the same issue for the same reasons with reflective LCDs or even paper.

My point is not that backlit LCD and only backlit LCD displays cause eyestrain, but that people generally suffer eyestrain for a different reason when reading from a backlit LCD than from reflective media and so their established coping strategies don't work.

I'm also taking exception to the undertone I've got from some of the posters in this thread that anyone who claims to get eyestrain from a backlit LCD is simply doing it wrong. It's too reminiscent of a "blame the victim" mentality and I don't care for it.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote