View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #91
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
But again, a big problem with laptops and desktops is that it's just near impossible to get the ergonomics right as you just can't get the screen the proper distance from the eyes for long-term reading like you can with an e-reader or tablet or paper book.

Do I think light emitting devices probably lead to more eye strain even in ideal ergonomics, lighting etc. when compared to e-ink or paper? Probably so.

But again, as I said above, at the end of the day all that really matters is reading on what works best for your eyes.

I find e-ink a tad easier on my eyes than my girlfriend's iPad (which is vastly better than reading on my desktop or laptop monitor). But I'd give that up any day for having a color screen that can do video, internet, magazines, comics etc. as I'm just not an avid reader and don't really need the benefits of e-ink. And I spend a lot more time on those other activities than reading as I'm much more into movies, sports, TV, video games etc. than reading--and I get burnt out from having to read a lot for work and often don't want to do much leisure reading.

The Kindle was an impulse buy that I kind of regret now since I paid $200 for my used K1 and couldn't get much out of it now since used K2's are pretty common to find now. I'll probably just end up giving it away when I settle on a tablet down the road, be it a 2nd gen iPad or some other type of tablet.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote