View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Elonex EB511 - little foibles

After some more time with the device, thought I'd publish an update.

- the new firmware doesn't really fix the PDF reflow. It appears to try, and it changes the size of the fonts, but you still have to scroll around the page. I've kind of given up on pdfs on it, which is a bit of a pain with some ebook libraries tending to use pdf. I'm trying to stick to libraries that offer epub. Epub renders fine.
- no way to navigate links in a book - i.e. chapter links. So if your contents page is 5 pages long, it is probably 10 pages on a 5" reader, so you either have to page forward one at a time or take a random guess at where the book actually starts
- I definitely like the folders idea! Works really well with Calibre, save to disk
- one odd thing I found - the Elonex does not appear to have any internal memory, OR it is not detectable as a drive. I think it is the former. If you take out the mini SD card, and you have been 'saving to disk' via Calibre, you'll find all your files are on there, not on the device itself. If you leave the card out and attach it to your computer, the screen shows the message 'SD card not detected' and refuses to go any further. I found this a bit strange as I assumed it would be like the Sony, where the choice was between device memory and card.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote