View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 02:51 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBong View Post
Well I am currently in the market for an eReader and the kobo coming out is one of the ones I am looking at (along with jetbook lite). I noticed in a review it mentioned a load up time of 40 seconds which I thought was pretty long/a disadvantage. So my question is since from what I have read eInk devices basically don't draw power once a page is put on screen why would I turn the device off ever? Why wouldn't I just leave it on and then when I start reading again ill be at my old page and not have to do the 40 second powerup? I am assuming there is some reason not to do this like wear and tear or something but if I don't have to power down then that could cross one downside off the kobo.
The SCREEN doesn't use any power when displaying an image, but a bookreader is a computer and, like any computer, the CPU, memory, etc, all do continue to use power, albeit a small amount.

Some readers are designed to be left permanently on - eg the Sony devices and the Kindle; all that the "power switch" does on those devices is basically to lock the buttons to prevent accidental button presses. Other devices are better turned off between reading sessions to preserve the battery. Generally speaking, though, they start up sufficient quickly that this is not a problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote