View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
kad032000
Connoisseur
kad032000 doesn't litterkad032000 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad032000 View Post
I vastly prefer e-ink devices for leisure reading, but it has nothing to do with eye-strain.

I think people confuse the different feelings they get from e-ink and back-lit screens as strain.

An avid reader who is used to paper books will feel different when they read on a back-lit screen. Paper isn't back-lit so they feel more comfortable reading on something that isn't back-lit, simply because it's familiar.

When I read on an e-ink device I will often "forget" that I am not reading a paper book. When e-ink first came out, several people would make comments about how they would find themselves attempting to turn a page instead of clicking a button.
This is somewhat of a leap in logic, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me that people would feel (often subconsciously) more stressed (easily confused with eye-strain) when reading a book on a back-lit screen for a variety of reasons:
(1) Using a back-lit device for an unfamiliar purpose
(2) Doing something familiar on an unfamiliar device (converse of 1)
(3) They retain the "computer" mindset when looking at a "computer" screen (i.e. the feeling that you need to be doing several different things at once)
kad032000 is offline   Reply With Quote