View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4S
Amazon - please improve the apps

After a weekend of reading on the iPad -- I think Amazon has a great chance to get most all of my ebook money. I like reading on the iPad but it's a bit heavy. It's also nice and large. So at times I'd want to read on my ipad and at times I'd rather read on my nice and small iphone. The great thing with Amazon is it's "whisper sync" technology that would allow me to switch between devices at will and always be at the right spot in the books.

Thing is -- the Amazon apps are sub par on both devices. The iPad app does not do the "two page" view in landscape that the iBook app does, and does not have a way to change the brightness of the screen. On the iPhone, Stanza has it all over the Kindle app (even though Amazon bought Stanza quite some time ago). I know of people that remove the drm from Amazon kindle books just so they can read those books via the Stanza app.

I'll give Amazon some grace on the iPad app. There wasn't much time to develop it, and they had no iPad until this weekend. The kindle app on the iphone/iPod Touch -- it's WAY long past due for Amazon to put in the nice features that the Stanza app already has.

When Amazon gets it's reader apps in shape, it will get all my ebook money. Whispersync is the "killer feature". It just won't be until Amazon gets the reader apps up to the competition.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote