View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Good idea... but would it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not a bad idea.

While I love "Free":
Improvements could be sold to existing users for a small sum ($5-10)

The software integrators (They are using many open sourced modules) still need to be paid.

I still expect "flaws" to be fixed for free.
A flaw is an advertised "Feature" that fails to work as advertised (or crashes).
None of the calling a bug fix an "improvement" ( a poorly-working feature that was not mentioned in any Sales literature, does not exist and IS a improvement for update purposes.)
I thank all of you for the idea. Yes, we even thought maybe charging a token charge of $2-$5 for engineering time might be good. The problem is this is a very varied community on this forum. ALL are good people... but all perceive things differently. I think some would raise holy hell saying it shows Astak is "mean at heart". Others would argue they have a right to new upgrades. And what about upgrades we charge for that may show up later with BeBook or someone else with the same features and no charge. Then, there would be the problem of getting 100-300 members to agree on anything and all pay in the same week or so.

It is a possible solution, and I am not at all against it; but there is also the question of this: "I paid my $5 and I got the upgrade and it did not improve my Text-To-Speech like I had hoped. I want my money back, you crooks!" And then the lynching parties: "Let's all meet at high noon and lynch the evil PM"!! By God, this could spiral out of control!

And THEN: try to define a true "bug fix"!! Is going to 12 font size choices a bug fix or an "improvement"?

ALL of us opn here have one thing in common: we love our Astak device (with the possible exception of a few nice Sony people). Other than that, we are very diverse in how we see things and in our definitions. It is a worthy idea; but could it possibly work?
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote