View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx View Post
Robert... I was having that discussion with my father the other day... about what "expectations for future support" one could/should have as an end-user from a product.

Tech changes, should a company need to provide updated support? I think there is "limited" expectations one should have, like, making sure flaws are removed... and if the market formats change too much, then yes, keeping their device viable without making the end-user have to buy a new device.

HOWEVER, as a solution to the conflict between factory and Astak... Personally speaking (and I'm a cheap, penny pincher, haha), I would not mind Paypaling like $2 to get a new, improved and new featured firmware on occasion, or as users agree.

That's every end user paying $2 for a user-requested firmware upgrade. So folks wanting to stay back in firmwares , no more cost, and those wanting updates with upgrades, can pay $2 on occasion.

Perhaps everyone would be happy.

Just a friendly thought

--havent even gotten to upgrade my newly arrived PP as my internet's been an issue (anyone know why a 2gb ram, dual core, winXP, Firefox 3.6 system would suddenly start displaying blank menus (empty boxes in File, Edit, View, etc... and have long delays executing commands and even completing your typing?)

Later all !
Not a bad idea.

While I love "Free":
Improvements could be sold to existing users for a small sum ($5-10)

The software integrators (They are using many open sourced modules) still need to be paid.

I still expect "flaws" to be fixed for free.
A flaw is an advertised "Feature" that fails to work as advertised (or crashes).
None of the calling a bug fix an "improvement" ( a poorly-working feature that was not mentioned in any Sales literature, does not exist and IS a improvement for update purposes.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote