Thread: eReader Survey
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: AVTN8; BBMini; Onyx Boox T68; SGN8
Here goes:

For a general novel reading device:

1. appearance
Sleek, no huge bezel, just enough to be able to hold comfortably without touch the screen (about 1cm should do it). The room underneath the screen can be a bit larger, but the other three margins should be the same size. Page buttons on the left side, right side and bottom bezel of the device. Reason for that: if I turn in bed, I shouldn't have to reach to the other size of the device to turn a page.

2. Functions
At least good support for epub, pdf and mobipocket (DRM not required, I'll strip that anyway )
The ability to highlight and maybe annotate for at least the formats I mentioned above.
The ability to chose font and fontsize (with enough steps) for at least the formats I mentioned above.

3. Specifications
Touchscreen, with at least the possibility to use a stylus.
5" or 6".
SDHC-card slot
light-weight

4. Colors
I presume you mean the colour of the device here. Black.

5. other
The use of a PixelQi* screen would be perfect as I prefer backlit devices.

------------------------

For a more general device, used for studying, and general work and/or hobby-related functions:

1. appearance
Small bezel, at least on the left, right and top size. Bottom bezel can be larger, but not huge. Preferably all 4 the same, small, size.

2. Functions
At least good support for epub, pdf and mobipocket (DRM not required, I'll strip that anyway )
The ability to highlight and annotate for at least the formats I mentioned above.
The ability to chose font and fontsize (with enough steps) for at least the formats I mentioned above.
The ability to make "new documents", so I can make notes. These documents should be saved, preferably in text format (though that'll require handwriting recognition), but some image format would be fine too, as long as I can open it again and continue on the same document.
There should be a browser

3. Specifications
Touchscreen, with at least the possibility to use a stylus.
Larger than 9" screen, preferably 11".
WiFi.
A PixelQi* screen
SDHC-card slot

4. Colors
Again, I presume the colour of the device: Black or silver, or a combination.

5. other
I'd take this device with me to meetings and such, so it should have a sturdy cover. Also, I'd love such a device as a cookbook in my kitchen, so a watertight container would be nice to have as well.

* with a PixelQi screen, I mean a screen that has two modii. One that is easy to read in daylight and saves battery, one that is easy to read in dark surroundings, which requires a backlit screen. A general transflective screen would work as well.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote