View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #51
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Make a separate backup of a good and complete copy of the Calibre library, or at least the metadata.db file, which is the most important file in Calibre.
I use Dropbox for syncing and I think you have been correct in your assumptions of possible pitfalls. I've used it now over a year and I have found most of the problems have been inflicted by me.

I have two backup strategies.

1. Log into the kids computer under my account and let Dropbox sync the database. When it is finished I log off. I never use Calibre on this machine and Dropbox does not automatically start up. Setting this up this way protects me from my own errors which are far worse then any hypothetical Dropbox conflict you can come up with.

2. The backup strategy I use outside of Dropbox doesn't involve backing up the metadata.db file at all.
Update: The below method will not backup custom recipes, they are stored in the metadata.db file. I save all of my custom recipes separate from Calibre but I wanted folks to know the limitation of this backup option.
  • I use the Save to Disk option in Calibre (ensuring both Save cover separately and Save metadata in OPF file are checked) to save my books in a backup directory.
  • Every time I add/update any books I select them and use Save to Disk to save them to my backup directory.
  • If I ever need to restore from a catastrophic failure I just reinstall Calibre and point it to a new Library folder and import the books. All the metadata, covers, tags, series etc... are recreated perfectly.
I have actually restored using 2 above a couple of times to test this setup and my library has always past the disaster recovery test.

Everyone here needs to know that a backup isn't a backup unless it can be restored. Far too many times folks thought they had a backup strategy only to find out is wasn't as good as they thought when they actually had to restore data.

Confession, like most other paranoids in this thread I do drag my library to an external drive about once a week for good measure and all of my source files are far away from Cailbre and in multiple locations in case of operator hardware error.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-30-2010 at 12:59 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote