View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Implementation of saved searches is well underway, and given that I am close to useless at user interface design, it is time to ask for some feedback.....Any suggestions? Be kind.
Having just gone trough this with merge code, I'd suggest you do what makes sense to you, what fits well with existing code and what matches, as best you can, the existing interface.

I didn't implement a lot of suggestions, but they really helped me think about what would work and what I needed.

Quote:
I heard that:
1. The name of the saved search should appear in the search box, not the value (the search itself).
I may have been in the minority, but I'd prefer the search, not a name, so 1)I can edit it, 2) I don't have to remember what it does, and 3) I don't have to think up a name.

How about this: Make the the default name the search. The "search:" leader in the bar would match the name of the search in the quotes after that leader, but if match fails, it would treat the contents as a search as if the leader and surrounding quotes were not there. Then if I search:

author:bob and cover:false

that is the default name and if later selected I'd see:

search:"author:bob and cover:false"

on the bar. I could edit it to anything I want. Editing it would cause a match failure in the saved search lookup, but the code could then treat it as though the search: and surrounding quotes were not there. Maybe it removes them automatically on match failure.

Quote:
2. There should be a way to select and create saved searches near the search box, without being required to open the tag browser.
I wanted this. It looks good so far - although you might consider putting the saved searches below the search bar instead of to the side if you need more length.

It looks great so far. Thanks for tackling this.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote